Review: Close Reach by Jonathan Moore

19481077
In a riveting tale of suspense and terror on the high seas, Jonathan Moore pits human beings against nature—and something far deadlier: one another.
Kelly Pratihari-Reid and her husband sail their yacht into Antarctic waters, thinking their gravest concerns will be ice and storms—and their cracked marriage. A British girl shrieking across a short-range VHF frequency ends that illusion. It’s coming, she screams. It saw us and it’s coming back! Her voice is drowned by a tide of signal-jamming static, and Kelly sees a target on the radar screen: A ship is coming for them.
Thus begins an unforgettable cat-and-mouse game across stormy polar seas and dire landfalls. Kelly’s pursuers will test her to the limits of her endurance—and beyond. For the ship in her wake is crewed by pirates, with a young leader trained to use the most sadistic tortures in pursuit of his ultimate objective . . . a goal as shocking as it is horrific.

I received this book via Netgalley to give an honest review.

Loved the story line. It was a book that I dove right into and hated to put it down. 
After reading this story I am a bit weary on going sailing now. Never went before not sure I would be going now. 
When I read the blurb I noticed it said that 'Kelly Pratihari-Reid and her husband sail their yacht into Antarctic waters, thinking their gravest concerns will be ice and storms—and their cracked marriage.' I didn't really get a sense of a broken marriage until later on in the story when Kelly has a memory of what she had done. I figured that it would have given us more examples of their cracked marriage. But that is okay it doesn't take you away from the true story being told.

So pretty much the main character Kelly is a strong character who given everything she has been through she comes out strong. She can still think with her head about what she needs to do. Now me I would have been a blubbering mess no doubt.
I had a feeling this book would have been more like 'ghost ship' yep you remember that movie? It had that feeling to it, but of course I was wrong. The way this ship kept following Kelly and Dean was scary. 
The "bad guy" the way he could torture someone without any remorse was just a oh wow!! I found myself cringing at what he was doing, and I like that. It is hard to find a good book that will have you cringe at what torture is written within the story. 
The suspense within the story was just awesome. It kept me right on the edge of my seat, and had me going okay what is going to happen next. This author is one I will be keeping my eye on, he has a great writing style that I enjoy. 

 Not sure if it was a formatting issue or just written, but twice there was a paragraph that was repeated when I would turn the page.  I am hoping it has been corrected before the publication date.






Jonathan   Moore
Jonathan Moore is a Bram Stoker Award nominated author of dark thrillers.

Before graduating from law school in New Orleans, Jonathan lived in Taiwan for three years, guided whitewater raft trips on the Rio Grande, and worked as an investigator for a criminal defense attorney in Washington, D.C. He has also been an English teacher, a bar owner, a counselor at a wilderness camp for juvenile delinquents, and a textbook writer.
Jonathan majored in creative writing at Interlochen Arts Academy, and later attended the (now defunct) New College of California for more of the same. While at New College, he wrote three novels that you will never see. Jonathan and his wife have lived in Honolulu since 2007. He tries to split his time between his sailboat and his back porch.
Jonathan’s debut novel, Redheads, was published in November 2013. He wrote Redheads largely aboard his ‘classic’ 1970 Tartan sailboat, and he would like to thank his diesel engine for being so uncooperative that between 2009 and 2011, he did more writing than sailing.
Connect with Jonathan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jonathanmoorefiction.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016